PRESS RELEASE : AIGA/NY Announces the Launch of DUMBO Circuit Fitness Loop, a participatory design project developed by DUMBO Business Improvement District in partnership with NYC Parks
New York, NY, April 3, 2014 – AIGA/NY is pleased to announce the expansion of its Special Initiatives with Dumbo Circuit, a new participatory design project, a pop-up 1-mile outdoor fitness loop activating park space in the neighborhood of DUMBO. Initiated by DUMBO Business Improvement District (BID), and funded by a SBS Neighborhood Challenge grant program, the Circuit offers a creative way to activate open space, improve public health and connect DUMBO to neighboring communities. Building on NYC’s Active Design Guidelines, DUMBO Circuit taps into the potential for designers to address public health epidemics like obesity, diabetes and heart disease caused in part by physical inactivity. “We want to give New York a free outdoor workout – in true DUMBO style. We are excited to see how the design community tackles this challenge and know that AIGA/NY’s expertise in creative placemaking will bring a new level of innovation and engagement to DUMBO Circuit,” says Alexandria Sica, Executive Director of the DUMBO BID.
Through this special project AIGA/NY continue to explore the potential of design in defining and expanding creative placemaking to positively transform communities, and expand on the current Design/Relief initiative, which will conclude in a couple months. “As AIGA enters its centennial year, the New York chapter is thrilled to celebrate design’s influence in society through community efforts such as DUMBO Circuit, and establish AIGA/NY as a go-to platform for graphic designers interested in working in the public realm,” says Glen Cummings, Vice-President of AIGA/NY.
AIGA/NY will oversee the design program and act as advisor/creative director, in collaboration with DUMBO BID and its partners, NYC Parks and NYC Small Business Services. The AIGA/NY team is composed of program director, Laetitia Wolff, supported by a project board, which includes Glen Cummings, Manuel Miranda, Agnieszka Gasparska, Josh Smith and Steff Geissbuhler who will offer their expertise to facilitate the creative process.
We are seeking a qualified design team to create DUMBO Circuit, a pop-up 1-mile outdoor fitness loop activating eight different park sites surrounding the BQE and Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges. Elements of the project may include wayfinding, signage, creative surface treatment, mapping, customized fitness equipment and/or web design. Project will be installed for one year (Summer 2014-2015).
Interested designers are invited to enter a competitive RFQ process; submission deadline for DUMBO Circuit is April 18. For more information, visit http://www.dumbo.is.
- CREATIVE PLACEMAKING | Push the role of design in creative placemaking. Pilot an urban intervention that activates public space, engages a diverse audience and promotes fitness.
- PUBLIC HEALTH | Create a free community gym that encourages New Yorkers to work out in a way that is fun, accessible, navigable and builds on the growing active design movement and recreation opportunities in NYC Parks.
- COMMUNITY CONNECTIVITY | Change perception of BQE as neighborhood boundary. Encourage DUMBO residents, workers, along with neighbors in Downtown Brooklyn, Brooklyn Heights, Brooklyn Navy Yard, Vinegar Hill and 1.2Msf Watchtower Properties tech campus, to sweat together.
- ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT | Drive traffic to local businesses by capturing a portion of the thousands of bicyclists and tourists streaming off the Manhattan and Brooklyn Bridges.
- NEIGHBORHOOD IDENTITY | Bolster DUMBO’s reputation as a hub for innovation and creativity. Respond to site-specific challenges presented by bridges and elevated infrastructure by transforming underutilized spaces into an inviting gateway.
- VISIBILITY | Add a splash of color, and renewed sense of possibility, for high-profile sites adjacent to heavily trafficked tourist destinations.
FRI. APR. 18, 2014: RFQ submission deadline.
WED APR 9 at 9:30am and MON, APR 14 at 5pm: informational site walk-throughs
Project budget is $40,000 inclusive of design, production and installation.
See more at: http://www.dumbo.is and aigany.org
About AIGA/NY AIGA/NY is the largest chapter of AIGA, the nonprofit professional association for design, whose mission is to advance design as a respected craft, strategic advantage and vital cultural force. The chapter provides to its members a wealth of inspiring programming, including talks, professional training sessions, and networking opportunities, as well as mentoring programs and special initiatives. Learn more: www.aigany.org
About DUMBO Improvement District Founded in 2006, the Dumbo Improvement District is a non-profit organization dedicated to enhancing and promoting DUMBO, Brooklyn. The Improvement District showcases DUMBO as a world-class destination, advocating on behalf of DUMBO’s businesses, property owners and residents and providing advocacy, street beautification, neighborhood marketing and public space programming.
About NYC Department of Parks & Recreation The NYC Department of Parks & Recreation seeks to maintain a clean and safe parks system, providing the public with a greener city and a wide variety of recreational opportunities. NYC Parks is the steward of approximately 29,000 acres of land — 14 % of New York City — including more than 5,000 individual properties ranging from Coney Island Beach and Central Park to community gardens and Greenstreets.
If you are interested in receiving dedicated emails regarding AIGA/NY Special Initiatives, please update your email preferences here. Contact: Laetitia Wolff, Program Director (212) 710-3156 firstname.lastname@example.org