Diversity & Inclusion
The New York City design community is an exceptional collection of talent, but falls short in reflecting the diversity of our vibrant city. Too many face explicit or implicit barriers to advancement. AIGA/NY believes that diversity is essential to excellence, achievement, and creative innovation. Through our programming and initiatives we aim to foster the culture of inclusion in which all individuals feel respected and are treated fairly, and different viewpoints, opinions, thoughts, and ideas are encouraged and embraced.
We consider diversity comprehensively, including race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, ability and disability, age, and other factors that shape creative perspective and professional experience.
Conversations confronting privilege, bias, and exclusion are complex and can be difficult. A shared understanding that achieves equity is a continued process and is essential to building a more inclusive community.
Join us to:
• Create a greater opportunity, awareness of diversity issues and inclusive design culture
• Celebrate diversity in our programming
• Foster open and constructive discussions amongst our members
• Connect with students, emerging designers, and like-minded groups to support a broader range of future practitioners and leaders
What can you do:
• Join us for our AIGA/NY Diversity in Design: cALL for Ideas
• Join the discussion locally on Twitter with the hashtag #AIGAtogether
• Explore the growing list of Diversity and Inclusion resources
• Volunteer with our chapter mentoring program to support a diverse new generation of young designers
• Suggest a diversity and inclusion focused activity or subject for our chapter: contact Julia Zeltser and Sarah van Anden
• Nominate a designer for a Design Journeys profile or a diversity expert for an AIGA national event: contact AIGA national strategic initiatives director Laetitia Wolff