Come learn the spontaneous, experimental, nerdy, and absurd process of creating a post typical of Friends of Type.
You will learn:
• How to think about letters with your hand.
• New tools and tricks to turn luck into beauty.
• Manual techniques to refine your letters.
• Two styles of digital refinement that will take your lettering game to the next level.
This workshop is ideal for:
• Professionals looking to bring better letters into logos, sketching, and compositions.
• Students curious about letters as a profession or studying type design.
• Anyone looking for a more intimate understanding of type and letters.
Participants will visualize an ampersand or short word using tools and techniques they are unfamiliar with. We will guide, encourage, demonstrate, and challenge towards each individual’s goals, according to their skills. After sketching and a crit, one idea per person will be chosen to refine by hand or in the computer. In the end everyone will have a Friends of Type-esque piece.
Requirements: Workshop attendees must bring their own laptops.
Software recommended to be pre-installed:
• Adobe Illustrator
• Adobe Photoshop
Please bring $15 cash for materials.
9:00AM-12:00PM: Introduction, warm-up, sketching, initial crique
12:00PM-1:00PM: Lunch break
1:00PM-5:00PM Refinement & digitization
Goodies & prizes will be awaiting you.
Friday 19 October 2012
AIGA National Design Center 164 5th Avenue - Mezzanine New York, NY 10010
Schedule 9:00AM-12:00PM: Introduction, warm-up, sketching, initial crique 12:00PM-1:00PM: Lunch break 1:00PM-5:00PM Refinement & digitization